RICHARD CHAFFOO, MD, FACS, FICS
Dr. Chaffoo is the medical director of Stemson Therapeutics in California. This company is an offshoot of Sanford Burnham, a nationally prominent biotech research company also based in California. Stemson began in part due to groundbreaking research on human hair follicles from collaborative research with California Hair MD seeking permanent solutions for hair loss.
Dr. Chaffoo and California Hair MD continue investigating the human hair follicle and hair loss with Stemson and other international plastic surgery colleagues across the globe. California Hair MD remains committed to providing patients with state of the art technology and techniques for hair loss through the latest surgical options and research.
WHY DOES BOARD CERTIFICATION MATTER?
Any doctor can perform cosmetic surgery (including hair replacement operations) in their office with no formal surgical training. So when you choose a surgeon, it is important to see if they are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). Then you can feel confident that your surgeon is:
Certified by the only surgical board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialities (ABMS) that certifies surgeons in cosmetic surgery of the entire body, including the hair and scalp region.
- Skilled and experienced in cosmetic surgery, a major part of which involves the face, scalp and hairline.
Extensively trained to perform all aspects of hair surgery, from aesthetic to reconstructive.
Uniquely qualified to perform complex surgical corrections of difficult hair and scalp defects due to burns, cancer, birth defects, trauma and genetic conditions like male pattern baldness.
Dr. Chaffoo’s training and professional accomplishments include the following highlights:
- Completed 9 years total of postgraduate surgical training after medical school
- Two surgical residencies in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) – Member
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) – Member
- American Head & Neck Society – Fellow
- Three fellowships: Facial Aesthetic Surgery at Stanford University Medical Center, Head & Neck Oncologic Surgery at Stanford University Medical Center, Burn Surgery at UCSD Medical Center
- American Board of Otolaryngology (Head & Neck Surgery)
- San Diego Plastic Surgery Society – Past President
- Scripps Memorial Hospital, Encinitas – Chief of Plastic Surgery
As well as certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, Dr. Chaffoo is certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology (Head & Neck Surgery). Dr. Chaffoo’s triple board-certification demonstrates his level of expertise and dedication to his profession.