Female hair loss isn’t as widely talked about as male hair loss, but that doesn’t make it less distressing when it happens to you. Approximately one-third of all women will experience hair loss at some point during their lifetime. Among post-menopausal women, up to two-thirds may experience hair thinning or bald patches.
When hair loss happens, you need trusted advice to explore potential solutions. California Hair MD is on the cutting edge of hair restoration. Our practice was founded by a dermatologist and plastic surgeon team, giving our patients access to the latest research and treatments in both medical and surgical techniques for addressing hair loss. We are active in research and clinical trials.
If you’re a woman experiencing hair loss, come to California Hair MD and work with our world-class medical providers. Our board-certified dermatologist and triple board-certified plastic surgeon will work with you to find solutions to restore your hair and your confidence.
Contact California Hair MD at one of our convenient Southern California locations:
- 1 Hair Loss Causes
- 2 Treatment Options
- 3 FAQ
- 3.1 Is female hair restoration as effective as male hair restoration?
- 3.2 Will I need to shave my hair for hair transplantation?
- 3.3 When should I see a doctor about my hair loss?
- 3.4 Will I have scarring after female hair loss treatment?
- 3.5 Am I a good candidate for female hair loss treatment?
- 3.6 How much does female hair restoration cost?
Hair Loss Causes
Hair loss in women can have many causes. While male pattern baldness is often tied to genetic and hormonal factors, female hair loss is often more complex. Successfully treating hair loss in women requires a deep understanding of the underlying medical causes and a comprehensive treatment plan to address these issues.
Some common causes of hair loss in women include:
- Female Pattern Hair Loss – Female pattern baldness typically presents in a different pattern than male pattern baldness. Hair loss typically begins with a widening of the part. Eventually, hair may become noticeably thinner across the entire scalp. Female pattern baldness can vary in severity from mild hair loss to extensive.
- Hormonal Changes – Hormonal fluctuations may lead to hair loss in women. This hair loss can be temporary or permanent. Hair loss is very common after pregnancy due to hormonal changes. Hair loss may also occur after a significant illness.
- Medications – Some medications and medical conditions may cause hair loss in women. Chemotherapy, birth control, thyroid medications, and antidepressants are commonly used medications that may cause changes to the hair.
- Nutritional Deficiencies – Iron deficiency anemia may contribute to hair loss and thinning. This condition is common in pre-menopausal women.
What options do women have for addressing hair loss? Many of the treatments we use for treating male pattern baldness can also be used to encourage hair regrowth for women.
California Hair MD is a boutique hair restoration practice that utilizes the latest advances in hair restoration to help our patients rediscover a fuller head of hair. If you’re experiencing female pattern hair loss or other types of hair thinning, contact us for a complimentary consultation to explore your options. There are many female hair loss treatments available.
- Medications – Medical treatments for hair loss are most effective if they are started in the early stages of hair loss. Topical treatments like minoxidil can be very effective in some patients, especially when paired with other therapies.
- Non-Surgical Treatments – Non-surgical treatments can help address hair thinning and loss in women. Scalp micropigmentation can help hair to appear thicker and fuller. California Hair MD has many options available for non-surgical hair regrowth for women.
- Hair Transplantation – Several hair transplantation options may be available to women including FUE hair transplantation and FUT (linear strip method). In hair transplantation, hair is surgically moved (typically from the back of the scalp) to create a thicker, fuller hair appearance. While this technique is more challenging in women than men, it can be very effective in carefully selected patients
Is female hair restoration as effective as male hair restoration?
Female hair restoration has a few unique challenges, but can be very effective. We use state-of-the-art technology and advanced techniques to provide our patients with effective hair loss treatments for women.
Will I need to shave my hair for hair transplantation?
FUE hair transplantation requires shaving large portions of the head. Many female patients prefer to avoid shaving the head when possible. If you’re concerned about shaving the head, Dr. Chaffoo may recommend FUT hair transplantation, one of the most popular options for female hair transplantation.
When should I see a doctor about my hair loss?
By the time hair thinning becomes noticeable, up to 50% of the hair on the head may already be lost. Treatment is easiest in the early stages of hair loss. If you notice changes in your hairline or are experiencing hair thinning or loss, schedule an appointment with a hair restoration specialist as soon as possible.
Will I have scarring after female hair loss treatment?
You may have scarring after female hair restoration, but it depends on the treatment methods used. FUE hair transplantation does not leave a significant scar on the head or scalp. FUT hair transplantation does leave a scar across the back of the head, but this scar is typically covered by hair and is not easily visible with most female hairstyles. Medical therapies can also address hair loss without scarring.
Am I a good candidate for female hair loss treatment?
Treating hair loss in women can be challenging, but the results are rewarding. If you’re experiencing hair loss, schedule a complimentary consultation and learn about your options. With many treatment options available, most women can find an option that works for their situation and hair loss. Make an informed decision about your next steps by scheduling a consultation at California Hair MD.
How much does female hair restoration cost?
Treatment costs for hair restoration vary. The best way to get accurate pricing information is to schedule a complimentary consultation. During your consultation, you’ll discuss your treatment goals with one of our board-certified physicians and create a personalized treatment plan. This information will allow us to provide accurate pricing information.